Be sure to check out the latest news, blogs and other helpful information located in our News Center under the Resources Tab.
BBB® Tuesday Tips (March 8, 2016)
Scammers Targeting College Students with Fake Job E-Mails
Scammers are targeting college students with fake jobs. They blast solicitations to college email accounts promising positions with flexible hours and good pay. If you know a student or are taking classes yourself, be sure to watch out for these phony job offers.
How the Scam Works:
You receive a message to your college email account. It is encouraging you to apply for a job, and the position sounds great for students. One scam message read: "The position offers flexibility that allows you to choose your hours during the day to avoid conflicts between classes or other business."
Don't bother sending your resume, though. It's a scam. If you reply to the email, the con artists will offer you the position. (First, they may do a short interview over email or an online chat.) Then, they will send a check for your first "assignment." You will be instructed to keep a portion of the money and send the rest to other scam agents. Unfortunately, the check is fake, and you will be responsible for any money withdrawn against it.
Job scams often use the names of legitimate businesses. But in this recent wave, targets reported being contacted by fake companies as well. However, in one instance, only the job position was provided: administrative assistant.
How to Spot an Employment Scam:
1. Some positions are more likely to be scams. Always be wary of work from home, secret shopper positions or any job with a generic title, such as caregiver or customer service representative. These positions often don't require special training or licensing, so they appeal to a wide range of applicants. Scammers take advantage of this.
2. If a job looks suspicious, search for it online. If the result comes up in other cities with the exact same job post, it is likely a scam. Also, check the real company's job page to make sure the position is posted there.
3. Watch out for on-the-spot job offers. You may be an excellent candidate for the job, but beware of offers made without an interview. A real company will want to talk to a candidate before hiring him or her.
4. Don't fall for an overpayment scam. No legitimate job would ever overpay an employee and ask him/her to wire the money elsewhere. This is a common trick used by scammers.
5. Be very cautious of any job that asks you to share personal information or hand over money. Scammers will often use the guise of running a credit check, setting up direct deposit or paying for training. This information can then be used for identity theft, so be absolutely certain before you share.
For More Information:
To find out more about other scams, check out BBB Scam Stopper (bbb.org/scam). To report a scam, go to BBB Scam Tracker (bbb.org/scamtracker).
Coggins Insurance Agency, Inc. looks forward to helping you with your insurance needs. You may contact us at:
(850) 457-3299, email us at: email@example.com or visit us at:
504 S. Fairfield Drive, Suite A-1, Pensacola, Florida 32506.
We are a family/veteran owned and operated independent agency with the customer in mind. We have relationships with many insurance companies, allowing you to get the right price with the right service. Whether you have the ideal history, preferred companies desire, or a not so perfect history, we find the right coverage, with the best company, at the best price for you. Make the latest changes to your policy directly from our website *twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Use any of our convenient forms located above, under our customer service tab, for policy servicing directly from your home or office. As an independent insurance agent we can offer the right coverage's with the personal touch you would expect from your neighborhood insurance agent.
*Please note that if changes are requested outside of normal business hours, the changes will be made as soon as the office re-opens.
You can request policy customer service online by clicking here. To contact us click here or visit us at our office.
Products We Offer:
Annuities, Auto, Boat, Bonds, Builder's Risk, Church, Commercial Auto, Commercial General Liability, Commercial Business Property, Condo (Owner and Tenant Occupied), Director's & Officers, Dwelling Fire, Flood, Garagekeeper/Garage Liability, Homeowner's, Homeowner's Association, Inland Marine, IRA's, Life Motorcycle, Personal Liability, Renters, RV, Umbrella, Volunteer Fire Departments, Watercraft, Windstorm, Workers Compensation.
Some of the Companies We Represent: