July 31, 2013Agency
Beware of Insurance Fraud – From USA.gov
To avoid insurance fraud:
- When shopping for insurance on the Internet, check that the website is secure. Look for the lock icon, a URL that begins “https:” and never provide personal information if you don’t trust the site.
- Be wary of people selling insurance door-to-door and over the telephone.
- Be suspicious if, after an accident, a stranger contacts you to offer “quick cash” or recommends a particular attorney or health care provider. Report the incident to your police department.
- Don’t give your insurance identification numbers to companies you don’t know.
- Carry a disposable camera in your glove compartment. If you are in an accident, take pictures of the damage and the people involved. Ask for names, telephone numbers, and driver’s license information for all those involved. Getting contact information for any witnesses is also a good idea.
If you suspect fraud, call the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s hotline at 1-800-835-6422. For more information, check out the Coalition Against Insurance Fraud